COMET TRIO CLASS RULES
1. INTENTION & INTERPRETATION.
- The intention of the Class Rules shall be to maintain a “one-design class” in which racing is a true test of sailing skill. The boats shall be as alike as possible in all aspects effecting speed and ease of handling. The boat’s characteristics of simplicity, safety, moderate cost and low maintenance shall be maintained.
- The official language of the Class shall be English. The English text shall prevail in any dispute over translation.
- In the event of any discrepancy between the rules and the plans, specifications or measurement forms, the rules shall take precedence.
- The Constitution of the Combined Comet Class Association shall govern the procedure for changes and/or additions to these rules.
2. PROTECTION OF ONE DESIGN.
- Only Peak Dinghy Spares Ltd and holders of a valid licence from Mr P Morrison shall be entitled to build Comet Trio sailing dinghies.
- Builders shall be required by their licence to produce boats and parts in accordance with the official plans and specifications issued by Mr Mr P Morrison and in accordance with these Class Rules.
- The GRP hull and deck shall be produced only from official moulds to the standards and specifications of Peak Dinghy Spares Ltd.
- All other equipment comprising, mast, boom, bow sprit, sails, battens, centreboard, rudder blade, rudder stock, tiller, fittings, toe strap mountings, whether original or replacement, shall be those supplied by a licensed Builder except as specifically authorised by these Rules (see paragraph 7).
- No additions, alterations or repairs may be made to the Comet Trio unless specifically authorised by these Rules. These restrictions shall extend to the position and intended function of each item.
3. CERTIFICATE AND REGISTRATION.
- Each Comet Trio shall be issued with a sail number when built and recognised only by that number.
- A measurement certificate shall be issued with each new Comet Trio in accordance with the Constitution of the Combined Comet Class Association.
- No boat shall be allowed to race as a Comet Trio unless it is listed on the Comet Trio Class Register and has a Valid Measurement Certificate.
- Only the Class Measurer, the builder, or holder of a valid building license shall be allowed to issue a Measurement Certificate.
- Any Comet Trio with a Measurement Certificate shall be liable to be inspected, examined and remeasured at the discretion of the Combined Comet Class Association or its committee.
- At the discretion of the approved measurer, the repair and replacement of any part of a Comet Trio may invalidate the certificate of that Comet Trio.
5. COMPLIANCE WITH RULES.
- It shall be the responsibility of the owner to ensure that the Comet Trio complies with the Class Rules.
- Any alteration or replacement shall comply with the rules current at the time of the alteration or replacement.
6. RULING AND DISPENSATIONS.
- Cases of doubt regarding compliance with the Class Rules shall be referred to the Combined Comet Class Association committee who shall give a ruling.
- The Combined Comet Class Association shall be empowered to grant dispensations only in exceptional cases where this is considered to be in the interests of the class. Any such dispensation shall be recorded on the Measurement Certificate of the boat.
7. PERMITTED ALTERATIONS, ADDITIONS & REPAIRS.
7.1. The following may be replaced by parts from any manufacturer or supplier, provided they perform the same function:
- tiller extension.
- shackles, pins, swivels.
- centre mainsheet swivel.
- spinnaker bag.
- shrouds, stainless steel wire of standard length and of not less than 3mm diameter comprising at least nineteen strands.
- jib halyard-flexible stainless steel wire of standard length and not less than 3mm.
- main halyard, of synthetic rope construction only.
- running rigging, mainsheet, jibsheet, kicking strap & lashings.
- self bailers.
- jib sheet cleats. (see rule 13.)
- 7.2 The following additions and alterations are permitted and may include parts which can be obtained from any supplier:
- non slip material may be added to the internal mouldings.
- an additional purchase may be incorporated in the jibsheet system (maximum velocity ratio 2:1) (see rule 13).
- an additional purchase may be incorporated in the mainsheet system.
- additional block and cleats may be added to lead outhaul, kicking strap and cunningham sail controls aft.
- the total velocity ratio of each individual control line system shall not exceed outhaul 8:1, kicking strap 12:1, Cunningham 4:1
- any number and design of mechanical wind indicators may be fitted.
- any compass may be fitted.
- any additional equipment relating to safety purposes may be fitted.
- additional hatches may be fitted provided they do not compromise the watertight integrity of any hull compartments.
- rowlock sockets.
- A wide mainsheet horse rope may be fitted to two eyes or two drilled holes positioned on corner of side deck and top of transom. The holes shall not compromise the watertight integrity of the hull compartment.
- A spinnaker halyard bungee and block take away system to prevent tangling can be added.
- A spinnaker chute launch and retrieval system including spinnaker patches. Forestay, jib tack, bowsprit extended and retracted length, and spinnaker size shall not change from standard.
- 7.3 The following additions and alterations may be permitted as long as they are fitted by the builder:
a. a rear storage locker.
7.4 The following additions and alterations may be permitted as long as they are supplied by the builder and fitted in the standard position as indicated by the builder:
a. jibstick and two eyes on mast.
- asymmetric spinnaker kit comprising extending bow sprit (see rule 14 & 17).
- a maximum of two transom flaps.
- outboard pad on transom.
All fittings, fastenings and rivets shall be sealed to maintain buoyancy of mast. A 5mm drain hole at base of mast is permitted.
Sidestays. Length overall between bearing surfaces 4650mm +/- 10mm. Wire diameter 3mm.
Forestay. Length overall between bearing surfaces 4840mm +/- 10mm. Wire diameter 3mm.
Shroud adjusters. Multi hole type. Distance between shroud attachment and deck fitting hole centres. Maximum 82mm. Minimum 18mm.
No additional shackles or rigging links etc. shall be fitted.
10. JIB HALYARD.
- Shall be of external type, maintaining buoyancy of mast. Wire diameter 3mm.
- Length overall between bearing surfaces 4740mm +/- 10mm.
- Jib halyard hook. Length between bearing surfaces Maximum 65mm.Minimum 55mm.
- No rope or fittings shall inhibit or prevent the lowering of the jib while afloat.
11. JIB FURLING GEAR.
- Jib furling top swivel and jib furling drum shall always be fitted.
- No rope or fittings shall inhibit or prevent the furling of the jib while afloat.
- Only mainsail, jib and asymmetric spinnaker shall be permitted.
- No rope or fittings shall inhibit or prevent the lowering or reefing of the mainsail while afloat.
- Mainsail reefing line must always be installed in the boom and be of sufficient length to reef the sail.
d. Repairs. Sails shall not be recut, resewn or altered other than for bona fide repairs. Sails shall not be fitted with stiffening patches or additional cringles.
13. JIB SHEET FAIRLEADS.
a. Jib sheet fairleads, adjustable tracks and cleats etc. may be fitted anywhere on the forward end of the side seat moulding. Jib fairlead shall not overhang the side seat when viewed vertically from above.
14. ASYMMETRIC SPINNAKER BOWSPRIT.
- The bowsprit shall be retracted so that it’s forward end is within 300mm of the forward most point of the hull at all times other than when the spinnaker is set or in the act of being set or recovered.
- The maximum extension of the bowsprit shall be 1380mm from its end to the forward most point of the hull.
15. REPAIRS & REPLACEMENTS.
a. Repairs shall be permitted to damaged hulls, decks, centreboards, rudders, masts and booms, provided that such repairs do not alter shape or characteristics of the component so that its strength or performance is materially affected.
a. A minimum of two and a maximum of three people shall be in the boat when racing.
17. ASYMMETRIC SPINNAKER
- The Comet Trio may be raced as a two sail dinghy without spinnaker or as a three sail dinghy with spinnaker, depending on individual events and race instructions.
- The Comet Trio will race on handicap with two different Portsmouth yardstick ratings reflecting performance as a two sail dinghy or three sail with spinnaker.
1st June 2016